Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Rodcast 3: Stakey (pt 2)

[original page]
[original audio]

you know I'm starting to think down along those lines so I I'm glad that you brought up that top okay state conference helped me out theory and you were looking for a topic to talk about we can talk about 72-hour kits one of these days okay like what do you put in a 72-hour kit that's a topic okay yeah I suppose so yeah that could be a topic that you want me that I need to brainstorm your 72-hour kit it's true it's true okay anyway is all goes on here's here's actually interesting stats that she said identify ways to measure progress but how would you measure testimony and she said probably the best way is to look toward goals and and she kind of said a few things I didn't write them all down but some of them I thought was current profound like I know I'm getting better when Church isn't a burden I know I'm getting better when I don't buy drink or eat something just to get through the day and she said a few things kind of like that that I thought were pretty fascinating pretty good stuff I know I'm getting better when I don't I used to compulsively buy when you know I was depressed and but I'm obviously getting better because I'm broke now oh and then she goes I know I'm getting better when stuff isn't as tempting as it was and then she's like I'll let you put in whatever you want for stuff and then she see and then she goes Christ invites us to be perfected in him because he's not setting us up for failure we are closer than we think kind of going on to what President Dunn said and the differences in the details find something you can do better and mess so pal it was a really good talk yeah it's about Rojas maybe I should ask her out anyway um then-president badger spoke and it was it was very his was very brief and also at this point I was fading what now was he brief because all of the other people went long I'm not sure I didn't really I was in a position where I couldn't look at the clock and I didn't bother to pull out my phone to check what time it was okay um I was in a plush seat so I didn't really feel a need to look at the clock another benefit of going to priesthood session you get a really really good seat yeah actually it's kind of funny I didn't get a good seat for priesthood session well what was really all Scott up when everybody else got up I moved in nice yeah so it was pretty sweet and he said let's see president had her change in heart and able to forgive others and to be forgiven and I and he went into a lot of detail about about the nature of Christ and president Smith opened with a few jokes of course that's one thing I truly miss out on it was the fact I don't get to hear president Smith oh yeah that man knows how to do he knows how to reach his audience he absolutely does yeah oh yeah gosh president's not he'd good he said brethren you need to get married because somebody needs to set you straight and there he says something to be effective the in graces there's only you and not I involved and so love one another so those those just some obviously went into better detail than that but that's all I had room to write uh I'm glad to see he did better than that yeah yeah he did that he's pretty good it's just in and keep in mind my my hand hurts I can't even write very well that's true that's true president Dunn said don't something about distraction and be willing to do what it takes to same kind of thing it's right there it's so close and you use the example of Donner Hill over an emigration Canyon about how when the Donner Party came through they they went they went the wrong way they diverged from the path because they thought it would be easier but it was actually much harder and that set them up for failure later when when the Pioneers came through he didn't really elaborate on this but I thought it was kind of profound the mouth of emigration Canyon kind of comes to a point and they were able to go right through the right point that was easiest and they arrived in the valley everything was fine except everything wasn't trying for everybody but you know right generally long story short everything was fun long story short everything was fine there ten million of us now but I thought it was very interesting the way he said the mouth of the canyon forms into a fine point and it kind of got me thinking you know in a spiritual journey you have at the beginning of the journey you have that big wide area that big Canyon to go through and and so there are so many ways that you can kind of progress toward your goal there's so many things that you can do and then toward the end it comes into that fine point and it's more difficult for you it's harder to see the path when you're closer to the end of the journey and I thought that was pretty fascinating yeah that's actually a really really cool point I'm just going to draw something here so that you can see the way that the commandments work is that it gets you you know when you first start out along the path of you know once you realize okay I need to be able to you know I understand that I have a need for Savior and and I understand that the commandments are important you end up you know going back and forth along this path that's very very wide knit it funnels you down more and one more till you get to a path it almost feels like you're you really don't have much wiggle room at all but as you come out of that it opens up wide wide wide because at that point you don't need the commandments anyway because the Lord is going to trust you to stay on that path all the way through but as we first begin and we have to have all of those Commandments to help Corral us in to get us to a point where we're thinking okay this is an appropriate way just like the the canyon funnels them down into you know point them into the right way to go down through you know that the commandments and the keep wanting to say laws but the I guess the heavenly laws that that exists are there for a purpose to get us to a point where we stay on the straight and narrow path regardless of having to have that Canyon funnel us down in there right it's funny that kind of concept of of not having any restrictions yet being the person popped into my head a little bit today and I can't remember why I don't maybe it wasn't even today but it was I think someone in conference referenced like born-again Christianity and held like one of the things they always say especially to us is it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you accept Christ and you proclaim him as your Savior right you know in you know knee jerk you know we kind of think that's pretty naive right but at the same time if it doesn't really matter what you do yet he's born there isn't a rash of born-again Christian crime occurring you know anywhere it there is something to be said about that like okay I proclaimed you know the love of my Savior and you know his atonement in His grace and and so you know there is no need to do anything wrong it just it is kind of a natural occurrence of legitimately accepting your Savior I'm sure that's not the case with everybody sure lots of people say they say and I think that's more of the thing if you if you do something in violation of what the saver would have you do in a way I think that's more a communication that you're not expecting him anymore yes I think that's a valid point so anyway so that was state conference it was a pretty good no pancakes this morning now but that's fine pancakes yesterday I since I came late I decided to have some of the burned one so that some people wouldn't have those they were okay they were okay but you are truly Christian sir yeah well I do what I can I do I can I try you know a lot of people don't know this but I really try to be a sort of good person anyway um it was good to teach you for once usually you're teaching me so yeah no I appreciate the I even though I know it sounds weird that idea about a 72-hour kit that's that actually kind of hit home a little bit okay you know after an unintended and not much of a pun really I don't say what's hilarious instead it with the pun and I intended to make it okay okay fair enough do you have anything else to talk about did I have I have something to talk about a few we could we can do I don't have anything I know of my responsibility to apparently get a guest and to to bring the topic I never said you had to get a guest I just said you need to deposit whoever is in charge of getting the topic is in charge of it if you think yes and then and then after I said that I'm like you don't have to get against them like if you want again you're the okay okay let me aswell record this rule what I said was if you're in charge of the topic you're also in charge of whoever else that means I can't get a guest on your topic week oh okay so so you can either choose to have a guest or not but you're in charge of whoever else if anybody right gotcha okay so anyway your topic this week is I don't know maybe I don't now I kind of do okay um so after State Conference I a few people wanted to see Bishop and so I had to do my calling after conference and a few people were going in because they wanted to go through the temple and so they wanted to take temple prep classes right what do you think a temple prep classes are they kind of at the point really I've only done one uh-huh and that was before I went to the temple myself and I remember thinking well looking back on it now I understand the purpose behind them but I don't know that it really did that much for me yeah you know in fairness I know that sounds arrogant and it frankly rather is I've always felt like I've been a little ahead of the curve on some areas of my religion so when it came to the temple like it was no problem for me whatsoever didn't have any questions as a matter of fact when I received my endowment I remember my brother-in-law coming up to me and saying okay now Jackie questions are you confused about anything like what in the heck is there it'd be so confused about I completely get it I make covenants with the Lord I don't understand everything behind it but I get that I made covenants with the Lord here you know and so I it I remember being with a bunch of other people in the class and thinking I anyone really getting anything out of this because I wasn't learning anything new that I hadn't been it was more of a refresher and more of I guess I focused her kind of a class well yeah well but I understand for other people who don't who didn't grow up in a situation where I did where my dad was a bishop for 14 years and I faked presidency for seven years you know who didn't have this you know extreme structure of Church you know backbone if you will I'm it's probably very very helpful and very necessary for some people to prepare them for what goes on in temple okay yes and I think it's very important to prepare what goes on in temple but what I don't get what I don't get is the temple prep class usually consists of this is what a covenant is and and then they might read out of Abraham or something like that or you know out of Moses and that's kind of it but they don't actually do any preparation they just kind of say okay here's a little bit of vocabulary but um and I kind of want to I almost want to ask any listeners who may have not gone into the temple I mean I almost kind of want to ask them what do you think of what you know about the law of consecration and I'm wondering if one thing they'll say is all the law of consecration that's something the church tried out a while back and it didn't really work because you know obviously it's not going to work because you know we all kind of want our own stuff right and and and and seriously that's kind of I think what the church in general thinks about stuff like that because and this is what I don't understand and this this topic is something that I kind of feel strongly about that I kind of want to preface here maybe and I want to revisit on another podcast perhaps but I don't understand why we don't talk about the things that go on in the temple specifically the covenants I went to the temple and one thing I was very surprised about is everybody kind of before I let you this they're like okay this is something that you talk about on the temple and so I don't want to talk about it here we talk about the temple and so you know I don't want to you know I'm not sure if we should talk about it is the one thing that was very clear to me is this is the stuff you don't talk about and it was very specific things you don't talk about that other things such as the covenants we make those aren't necessarily something things we don't want to talk about those are our lives that's what we should be talking about all the time so that's what we should be that's our religion that's what we should live and so I really think and I think this is true with endowed members of the church too they also think of the law of consecration is something we did a long time ago that has no meaning for us today right cons they use the excuse it's something in the temple it's something secret it's something we don't want to talk about okay I agree completely with your what I'm gonna classify as I ran there I I have nothing to say against anything that you just said right now okay fair enough and I want to that's all I have to say right now but I think I want to revisit that because I think that's just something that I've never been able to comprehend maybe if I can make a comment here consecration is really it's it's one of the reasons why we were not supposed to turn down a calling and we get if I could you know I'm going to apply it you know really wells because we are supposed to dedicate our time our talent or all of our energies to the building up of the Lord's kingdom here on earth which is the church that is the responsibility the culminating aspect of the covenants that we make within the temple is the fact that we will consecrate our entire lives over to him and say okay Lord I will do exactly what you asked of me to do if you're asking me to be the Sunday school teacher then I will be the Sunday school teacher if you're asking me to be the activities chairperson I would be the activities chairperson even though that would be a calling that may require me to leave the church because that would be a horrible calling for me right you and I have pretty love with coins yes I think so and that's one reason why I'm really reluctant to go to a family war because they're their dozen callings there that would that would destroy me I know what you mean well ii-i'd brother Matson we need you to be the Scoutmaster yeah are you kidding exactly so I consecration is not something that is that you should be taking lightly and sort of like oh yeah one day we'll practice that again right no you ought to be preparing yourself to the point that you can practice cotton you can you know actually live consecration tomorrow right and that's how I feel about the law of polygamy as well I could live polygamy tomorrow I don't think you can I don't think I can considering the fact of our age and we still have yet to marry one woman I don't think we can handle it I'm just saying I'm working on it I'm working on tons of women tons of them so that would be another interesting topic by the way yeah baby maybe okay well anyway anything else you have to saying this has been pretty good huh yeah yeah yeah I think that I would whole hesitant to even bother to sit down to do this because well I was an act State Conference and well if you weren't gonna do it I was going to sit down and be my temple man so well I'm glad that I was here that you know you could share with me some some stuff for the state conference okay at myself as your home teacher you have taught me today and it was good oh yeah your home teacher that's right your home teaching me all the time Oh actually by the way before we close maybe we should say thank you for the comments that have been coming in oh yeah we've gotten on a very very nice comment you know thank you Janie Craig Maria Stephanie yeah and I thought I talked to her yesterday morning she said she's like I've been listening it's so good it's great oh yeah thank you so much Stephanie hey and if you guys have suggestions for other ideas yeah for us to talk about or maybe you think we're doing something dumb I think we'd be willing to you know hear some criticism oh yeah yeah yeah if there's something we're doing wrong and we can just we'll just cut that thing and yeah MLB eh also I finally heard back from iTunes and we're not iTunes hey all right and so yeah if you do a search for rod cast in iTunes then you can hit the subscribe button and then you don't have to worry about going back and visiting the blog if you have to leave comment except that Lee comments yes although you can leave comments on iTunes which would be really great oh yeah that's true um but yeah so if you subscribe in iTunes then it just downloads automatically you don't have to it'll just go right in and you can probably if you sync up your iPod to sync up podcast then it'll go right to your iPod when you charge it on your computer row if that's how it works I don't know my iPod broke but I've been thinking about you in the knife pods how do you really yeah get a nano that's what I'm gonna get well I've got an mp3 player that I got from Joey like he was like dude I never used this thing do you want it and so I took it and I've used it a few times I just don't use it that often no so even if I were to get an iPod I think it would just sit around does it have an athletic little strap thing you can put on your arm that's what doesn't know you might you could tape it like when you play softer you could be listening to like the Iron Rodcast and it that would be illegal oh yeah you can have like that necklaces and or rings and watches and stuff like that in a soccer game that's a no-no what if you like taped it to your back and just put ear plugs in like the risk of injury to yourself and to others is still great enough that they they just don't allow it you know because even though it's unlikely someone could get themselves wrapped up in it and either hurt them you know hurt a finger or rip them out of my ears and caused some sort of damage 18 hilarious though I mean let's be honest okay fine well whatever anyway go to iTunes I would have I meant to write down the link to iTunes but usually it's like 50 characters long yeah I think we can just say go search for rod cast again you should find it I'll do it next week anyway I'm Jon we'll see you later and I'm Peter have a good week [Music]

No comments:

Post a Comment